I could not live without meatballs in my life! And when you throw them in a great piece of bread with melted cheese, well then its heaven. I enjoy my ground beef meatball recipe, but once in a while, I go on a ground turkey kick and then these tasty turkey meatballs hit the dinner table.
What’s great about meatballs, any type, is that they freeze wonderfully after they are cooked. I always like to make extra that way I can grab them out of the freezer and add them to some of my homemade marinara sauce and let them simmer. All you need to do is cook them until they are thawed and warm through the center, and voila, you have dinner. Another great idea is to put sauce and your frozen meatballs in a crockpot on low, and when you get home from a long day, they are hot and ready for you to eat.
These turkey meatball subs are sure to put some smiles around your dinner table. Try this recipe out and let me know your thoughts! Enjoy!
- 2.5 pounds ground turkey
- ½ cup green onion, chop whites and part of the green
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup italian style breadcrumbs (or regular)
- ¾ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- FOR SUB
- 4-6 french bread style rolls (or one large french bread cup into sandwiches)
- Pasta sauce
- 8-12 slices of sharp provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 375
- In sauce pan heat pasta sauce
- In large bowl add all ingredient and mix together well with hands until well combined
- Line a baking sheet with nonstick aluminum foil or spray regular foil with nonstick cooking spray
- Roll mixture into balls about the size of a golf ball and place on baking sheet
- Bake for about 40-50 minutes
- Add to your favorite sauce and simmer for about 15 minutes on low
- Slice bread and add desired amount of meatballs some extra sauce and about 2 slices of provolone
- Place under broiler in oven on low until cheese is melted and bubbling
- Serve and enjoy!