A delicious meatless taco option. They are ready in less than 10 minutes!
A co-worker of Jason’s brought Jackfruit Tacos to a get together we had a few months back and they were delicious. She said she just made them the way she would make meat tacos, so that’s what I did when I made them. I bought a can of Jackfruit from Trader Joe’s and proceeded to make them the way I would make regular tacos and they turned out amazing. The one thing I will say is adding less salt then you would to chicken or beef tacos.
Make sure you buy Green Jackfruit in the brine.
- For the jackfruit:
- 2 20oz cans green jackfruit in water or brine, drained, rinsed, and chopped or shredded
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 red onion , sliced
- 5 cloves garlic , minced
- ½ cup vegetable broth or water
- 1 tablespoon agave
- 1 lime , juiced
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- For the tacos:
- 8-10 tortillas (corn or flour)
- 2 avocados, sliced or cubed
- ¼ cup cilantro , roughly chopped
- lime wedges
- Any other favorite taco toppings
- To prep the jackfruit:
- Cut the jackfruit into thin slices from the core to the outer edges.You will break up the harder pieces in the pan later.
- To make the Tacos:
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat add the onions and garlic, saute for 5-7 minutes, until softened and lightly browned. Add the seasonings, agave, lime juice and stir. Then stir in the jackfruit and ½ cup of vegetable broth or water. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Once everything has simmered use a potato masher to break up the jackfruit into a more shredded consistency.
- Serve the Jackfruit mixture with your favorite tortilla shells, toppings and enjoy!
recipe adapted from It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken.
If you make this or any of our recipes, we would love to see them! Snap a photo and hashtag it#TwoSistersKitchens or tag us @twosisterskitchens on Instagram!