Agua de Horchata an easy creamy Mexican horchata that you can make at home.
Mexican horchata is a great reason to throw a party! You are going to love the hint of cinnamon, slight taste of coconut, and just enough sweetness. It is a great drink to make too for guest to add rum too.
Horchata is something that I tried making over 15 years ago several times and it took me 7 times to finally find the right way of making this delicious recipe. In a food processor or blender add slightly boiling water, rice, 1 cinnamon stick, and shredded coconut. Blend the mixture for only a few second. Seriously! do not do this for more than 20 seconds. If you blend it for too long it will make straining it later so much more difficult. Let the mixture sit for 25 minutes. Then strain the mixture through a cheesecloth or milk nut bag into a large pitcher. Then you will add the sugar, cinnamon, and rice milk. It is best to let it chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving.
You will notice that when serving the drink will always have to be stirred.
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1¼ cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
- 6 cups boiling water
- 6 cups rice milk
- 1¼ cup sugar (or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine coconut and rice in a blender. Add 2 cups boiling water; let stand 15 minutes. Blend 1 minute or until smooth. Strain mixture through a fine sieve or cheesecloth into a pitcher, pressing mixture with the back of a spoon to remove as much liquid as possible. Discard solids. Stir in remaining ingredients, stirring until sugar dissolves. Serve over ice.