I love baking on Saturday mornings; there is just something so therapeutic about it for me. I think it’s the realization that it is the weekend, and I do not have to rush to work anytime soon. These double chocolate muffins are a great Saturday morning breakfast, snack, or dessert after dinner. They are packed with lots of chocolate, have rich flavor, and a crumbly texture. They are super easy to throw together, and before you know it, you have a nice morning snack to share. Also, your house will smell amazing. Warm chocolate in the oven is probably one of the best smells a home can have.
I made mine in a 12 tin cupcake pan, but you can use the bakery style muffin tin that has 6 slots for larger muffins. I prefer to make the smaller muffins; that way there are more to go around. They store nicely in an air tight container on the counter for 3-4 days.
Make sure to not over-mix the mixture, this can create a very tough muffin. Less mixing makes for a nice textured muffin. You can also use whatever milk you want in this recipe (cow, soy, almond etc.)
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoons vinegar
- 1¼ cups light brown sugar
- ½ cup melted butter (slightly cooled)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a muffin tin with non stick spray or line with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cocoa, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, and vinegar. Whisk in the brown sugar, mix until well combined. Whisk in the melted butter (cooled).
- Switch to a wooden spoon, add the dry ingredients,to the wet ingredients, stirring to blend; make sure to not over mix.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pan; the muffin tins will be full!
- Bake the muffins for 20 to 24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool in the muffins in the pan for 10 minutes before removing; cool completely on a wire rack.