A healthy, Asian inspired, vegetable and shrimp stir-fry! Easy and healthy stir-fry with shrimp and spiralized zucchini all in a simple stir fry sauce.
Although the title for this dish might be a mouthful, but it truly is simple, and it only takes about 20 minutes to make. Shrimp is one of my favorite proteins when cooking. It cooks in a few minutes and adds a fancy level to your recipes; so does spiralizing your vegetables. When I first bought our spiralizer, I thought that I was not going to use it that much, but since buying it, I have used it pretty often. Some of the recipes have been fails, but some, like this pad thai recipe, have been amazing. I hope to continue to find inspiration with my spiralizer because it helps add more vegetables to my dishes. I love being able to “sneak” in some vegetables in my dinners.
The stir-fry sauce for this zucchini noodle stir-fry is simple and adjustable to how you like a stir fry sauce. You could even go ahead and use your favorite jarred sauce from the store. I prefer to make my own because I can adjust it to the way we like our stir fry. We tend to like spicy food, as you probably have noticed, and this stir fry is spicy, but you can do less chili paste to adjust to your liking. You could eat this recipe completely low carb or paleo and not serve it with rice, but I love carbs so I still serve a small portion of rice under the stir-fry. The recipe really can go without the rice, so I did not post it in the recipe itself.
- Stir Fry Sauce:
- ½ cup low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or honey
- 2 teaspoons Asian chili paste
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Rest of Dish:
- 3 Tablespoons olive divided
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red onion,sliced
- 2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup sugar snap peas
- 1 pound shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 medium-large zucchinis, spiralized
- peanuts or cashews for garnish
- Stir Fry Sauce: In a small mixing bowl or glass measuring cup, whisk together all the ingredients for the sauce and set aside.
- Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat, add two tablespoons, of the olive oil. Add in the sliced onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add in the garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Stir in the red peppers, sliced carrots, and sugar snap peas. Cook for 4-5 minutes you do not want the veggies to get soggy, you want them to still be pretty crisp. Remove from pan and transfer to a large plate or bowl.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and add the shrimp. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Once they are almost done add the sauce and bring to a simmer. Once the sauce is at a simmer add in the zucchini noodles and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Then add back in the cooked veggies and cook until everything is warm again. Serve immediately, and top with cashews or peanuts.
This recipe, was adapted from Just a Taste.