The best homemade tomato soup! It is far better than can tomato soup and is ready in less than 30 minutes.
Growing up my dad loved making us canned tomato soup and grilled cheese. Canned tomato soup is something that I have actually not had in years, but I sure do miss it. I have tried several homemade tomato soup recipes and finally came up with the perfect one.
This soup has bacon and basil in it! I know that the traditional canned soup does not have bacon or basil, but trust me it adds so much more flavor to the soup. It is creamy and just the right consistency. If you prefer the soup to not be creamy, then you can just omit the heavy whipping cream.
We had our tomato soup with grilled cheese. By the way, have you tried Ezekial bread before? It is our new favorite bread. You can find it in the freezer section and from my knowledge, it is way better for your than traditional bread. I first toast the bread in the toaster, and then cook them on the stove for grilled cheese.
- 4 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
- 3 carrots, chopped
- yellow onion, chopped
- 6-8 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 can tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken broth (add more if needed)
- 2 28-ounce can whole San Marzano tomatoes
- ½-2/3 cup heavy cream (optional)
- In a large soup pot, on medium heat, add the cut up bacon and fry until crispy. Transfer the bacon to a plate.
- Add the carrots, onion, and garlic to the left over grease in the pan; saute for 7-10 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the tomato paste, pepper, and basil.
- Pour in the canned tomatoes and stir. Add the soup to a food processor blender in batches until smooth. Return to the pot add the bacon back in, and the chicken broth, bring to a simmer. If adding the cream, turn off the heat, and slowly stir in the heavy cream. Serve!