If you haven’t heard of Tahini sauce or tried it before, it’s this amazing, garlicky, lemony and very versatile sauce. Tahini paste is used to make hummus, but it is also used to make this Tahini sauce. Tahini sauce is smoother than the paste because there is added olive oil, lemon juice, and lots of garlic in it. It is perfect in a pita sandwich, as a veggie dip, or drizzled over meats.
One of the most amazing things about making your own tahini sauce is that it’s together in under 5 minutes. It also stores well in the fridge for 5 days.
Try this tahini sauce recipe with our chicken shawrma recipe.
- ⅓ cup tahini, make sure to stir well
- 3 garlic cloves minced very finely
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Pinch cayenne, optional
- 4 to 6 tablespoons lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- In a small bowl, whisk tahini, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil. cumin, and cayenne pepper,and the salt in a bowl until well combined. The mixture will get very thick, do not worry we will thin it out.
- Next, add the lukewarm water, a tablespoon at a time. Stirring until you reach your desired consistency. I like mine to be runny, like yogurt.
- Add the water, a tablespoon at a time and whisking well after each addition until desired consistency.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust with additional salt or lemon juice.
- Store covered in the refrigerator.