Sweet potato sloppy joes are great for a quick weeknight meal. The sloppy joe mix is filled with veggies for an extra punch. It is kid friendly, too!
I first saw the idea for this recipe on Paleo Newbie. I have made this recipe my own, and it is truly a favorite in our home. It’s great for a quick weeknight meal, and if you have someone that doesn’t like sweet potatoes, you could always serve them traditionally on a bun.
The sloppy joes come together in 15 minutes, and the longest part of the meal could be cooking the sweet potatoes. I usually like to cook my sweet potatoes in the oven, which can take anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour. You can also cook the sweet potatoes in the microwave if you have a time crunch. I prefer the oven as then I can make the sloppy joe mix and relax or clean up the kitchen until the sweet potatoes are done.
- 4-5 baked Sweet Potatoes or Yams (baked)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ Onion, diced
- 1 Green Pepper, diced
- 1 Red Pepper, diced
- ¼ cup of Celery, chopped
- 3 cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp of chili powder
- 1 tsp of cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1½ lbs Ground Beef or Ground Turkey
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- (1) 14 oz can of tomato sauce
- (1) 6 oz can of tomato paste
- ¼ cup water if needed
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Poke the sweet potatoes with a fork several times and place onto a baking sheet covered with foil. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour or until they are fork tender.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet to medium-high heat, add the olive oil, onions, celery, red and green peppers. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the onions are translucent. Stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and brown sugar. Add the ground beef or turkey, break up with a wooden spoon, and cook until all the way cooked through.
- Stir in the dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, tomato sauce, and tomato paste. Bring to a low simmer, cover and cook on low for 8-10 minutes. Add more water if needed and salt and pepper to taste. I added ¾ teaspoon of salt.
- Once the potatoes are done cooking cut in half and fill with the sweet potato filling.