A deliciously easy way to make a whole chicken in your slow cooker. It is perfect for an easy dinner or to use for lunches.
Rosemary is one of my favorite spices to smell cooking in my home; it has such an aromatic smell. The combination of lemon, garlic, and rosemary just seep into the chicken and you are left with one flavorful whole chicken that is made with minimal effort.
I have never made a whole roasted chicken in a slow cooker. I usually make them in the oven. I was pleased with the flavorful results that came from my slow cooker and am now hooked. I am excited to try out other varieties of making a whole chicken in a slow cooker.
The method is simple: just add garlic, lemon slices, and chicken broth to the slow cooker, place in the seasoned chicken, top with rosemary and a few lemon slices, and cover and cook.
You can serve this lemon rosemary chicken with mashed, roasted, or grilled potatoes and veggies. We served ours with rosemary roasted potatoes and added asparagus to the sheet pan for more veggies. It would also go great with some ciabatta bread if you wanted to make some sandwiches out of it.
- 1 head Garlic (or about 10-15 cloves)
- 2 Lemons (sliced)
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- ½ cup chicken broth (or water)
- For the chicken:
- 4 to 5 pound whole chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Combine all of the spices in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cut the head off the garlic head and lay this and half of the lemon wedges in bottom of slow cooker.Gently pour in the ½ cup of chicken broth or water.
- Remove insides from chicken, rinse chicken and pat dry. Drizzle dried chicken, olive oil and season chicken well, inside and out, with the seasoning mixture.
- Lay chicken on top of garlic and lemon slices. Top with remaining lemon slices and 3 sprigs of rosemary.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on high for about 4 hours or on low for 7 hours, or until chicken reaches 165 degrees. ( use a meat thermometer to check for doneness.)
- When the chicken has reached 165 degrees or higher, turn off slow cooker and let chicken rest for about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from slow cooker and carve.