One of my husband’s favorite meals is lemon chicken with buttered noodles. When I came up with this recipe, I knew that it would be a hit in my kitchen. Little did I know that I found myself stating that it was one of my favorite meals when I was done cleaning my plate.
If this skillet chicken with creamy lemon sauce is paired with buttered noodles, beware: it will be carb heavy. The night before my husband ran the Chicago Marathon for the second time, he actually carbo-loaded with a variation of buttered noodles and chicken. He beat his previous years time by over 45 minutes, and I’d like to take the credit for making him a delicious meal the night before.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (3-4 chicken breast)
- Salt and Pepper
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 1 Lemon, zested
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- ¾ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6-7 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup heavy cream or 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- Using a mallet or rolling pin, pound down the chicken breasts into ½ inch thickness. Pat dry with a paper towel, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a large measuring cup combine the chicken broth, lemon juice, lemon zest,garlic, and red pepper flakes.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the chicken breasts and cook for 4-5 minutes until browned and flip to the other side and cook for 4-5 minutes on the other side.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, slowly add in the chicken broth mixture, cover with a lid and simmer for 8-15 or until the chicken is cooked through (160 degrees). This time will all depend on how large your chicken breasts are. Mine took about 10 minutes, but they were pretty thin chicken breasts.
- Once the chicken is cooked through add in the butter and stir until melted. Turn off the flame and slowly whisk in the heavy cream. Add chopped parsley and serve.