For years I have struggled with making good brownies. They would either turn out too dry, too cake-like, or way too gooey. I never knew what I was doing wrong, and I’ve always had better results with boxed brownie mix. I remember once making brownies and Jason said to me, “Well maybe this isn’t one of the things you are good at making.” I accepted that: I knew I was not good at making brownies. I know for a fact I have redeemed myself with this recipe. I love the sweet and salty flavor that these pretzel crusted caramel brownies have.
The pretzel crust might be my favorite part of this brownie. It’s just that perfect sweet and salty combination that I love. The chocolate brownie is the perfect combination of the cake/gooey texture that brownies have. To top it all off, these brownies have caramel inside AND drizzled on top! It quickly became one of my favorite desserts. It might even top my husband’s famous chocolate chip cookies. As I was writing this, I kept thinking that I wish we had more of them. We had to give all of them away to stop us from eating the whole pan.
You can always make them with your favorite brownie mix and follow the steps for the crust and caramel sauce. Enjoy!
- Pretzel crust:
- 1 stick of butter melted
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup crushed pretzels
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- Brownie Layer:
- ½ cup 1 stick unsalted butter
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 and ¼ cups sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup cut up caramels (rolos, melting caramel squares etc) optional
- Caramel squares
- crushed pretzels
- Pretzel Crust:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a medium size bowl in the microwave, make sure to stir halfway through. Then add the flour, crushed pretzels, brown sugar, and baking soda. Sit until the mixture is very well combined. Then press into a 13 by 9 inch baking pan or glass pan. Bake for 10 minutes. remove from oven and let sit out until you make the brownie mixture.
- In a medium saucepan melt butter and semi-sweet chocolate, stirring constantly, until melted. Remove from heat, and let the mixture sit for 12-15 minutes. You want it to cool down enough so that it does not cook the eggs.
- Next, in a large bowl add the sugar and pour the butter/chocolate mixture over the top. Mix until well combined with a whisk. Add one egg at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla. Then gently fold in half of the flour and salt. Then fold in the caramel pieces. Then finish folding in the rest of the flour/salt mixture. Make sure to not over mix. Pour the brownie mixture over the pretzel crust and spread until evenly distributed. Add crumbled pretzels if desired to the top of the brownies (about ½ cup). Bake for about 32-35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out mostly clean.
- Cool: for about 45 minutes to an hour on a wire rack.
- Towards the end of the cooling time, melt the caramel squares in a small saucepan. I took 15 melting caramels and one tablespoon of water over low heat and stirred until melted. You could also use jarred caramel.
- Drizzle melted caramel over top of cooled brownies. Cut into squares and enjoy.