Perfect Chili can be made on the stove or in a slow cooker. This chili is flavorful and super easy to throw together!
Chili is one of the first real meals I remember making, I also remember the first time I made it I accidentally added cinnamon instead of cumin… I obviously was not reading the spice labels while cooking. I learned my lesson that day to always check the labels! Chili is simple and gets more flavorful the longer that it simmers. It is best to make this recipe with enough time for simmering as that is when the flavors really come together.
I have given directions for how to make this chili in the slow cooker or on the stove. I often make it on the stove and let is simmer for 4-6 hours before serving. I always taste my chili too before serving and see if it needs more salt or more spice. If the jalapeno I used did not have enough heat, I will add about 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the pot. We like our chili slightly spicy.
If you do not like red kidney beans or black beans, you can always switch them to beans that you do like. I think that is why I love this recipe so much is that it can be changed to however you prefer your chili to taste.
- 1-to 1 ½ Pound Ground Beef
- 1 Yellow or White Onion, chopped
- 1 Green Pepper, chopped
- 1 Red Pepper, chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- ⅓ cup Chili Powder
- ¼ cup Cumin
- 3 teaspoons salt or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, do not drain
- 1 can green chilies, drained
- 1 can Black Beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 cans Red Kidney Beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 16oz can Tomato Sauce
- 1 6oz can Tomato Paste
- ¼ cup water
- ½ to 1 teaspoon cayenne for more spice (add after tasting)
- Optional toppings:
- Fritos, sour cream, cheese, oyster crackers, macaroni noodles
- Stove top instructions:
- In a large stock pot brown ground beef. Add onion, bell peppers, garlic, jalapeno, and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, water, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, beans, chili powder, and cumin, stir until well combined. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 3-4 hours. Make sure that you are stirring the chili every now and then to prevent burning. This is a thicker chili if you want a thinner chili, add more water or beef broth to your desired consistency. Add cayenne for more spice and salt if needed.
- Slow Cooker Instructions:
- In a skillet brown, the ground beef once browned add the onion, bell peppers, garlic, jalapeno, and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add the beef mixture to the slower cooker along with the salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, water, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, beans, chili powder, and cumin. Stir well and cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or on low for 2-3. I recommend doing the chili on low.
- This is a thicker chili if you want a thinner chili, add more water or beef broth to your desired consistency. Add cayenne for more spice and salt if needed.
If you make this or any of our recipes, we would love to see them! Snap a photo and hashtag it#TwoSistersKitchens or tag us @twosisterskitchens on Instagram!