Pasta e Fagioli is an Italian pasta and bean soup that is quick, comforting, and hearty. Pasta E Fagioli is also known as pasta and bean soup.
Even with it being April, with warmer weather in the air I am still on a big soup kick. This soup is fast to make and is a great soup to freeze and have for lunches throughout the month. I like to top this soup with fresh parmesan cheese to give it an extra level of deliciousness.
You can also add spinach, and chopped up zucchini for extra veggies. I also use spicy chicken sausage, but you can use regular Italian sausage.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage, casing removed
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1½ cups carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 (16-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes (fire roasted or regular)
- 1½ teaspoons dried basil
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup ditalini pasta
- Parmesan cheese
- In a deep pot, add the olive oil and Italian sausage cook over medium-high heat break up the sausage into small pieces and cook for about 4-5 minutes.(drain excess fat is necessary)
- Add the onion, garlic, celery, and carrots. Saute for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the beans, then add the can of tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, basil, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Add 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Simmer covered for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add pasta and cook uncovered until pasta is al dente, according to pasta directions.
- Top with parmesan cheese or fresh pepper.
If you make this or any of our recipes, we would love to see them! Snap a photo and hashtag it#TwoSistersKitchens or tag [email protected]Instagram!
For more soup recipes, try these: