With all of the holiday baking I did, I had several different half used items that I knew wouldn’t be used before that got bad. I didn’t want them all going to go to waste. We first used some of the Oreos that we had for a cookies and creme milkshake. Then today, I made these cookie bars since Jason had to bring a dessert to his guys night.
The best thing about these M&M Oreo cookie bars is you can have them ready to put in the oven in less than 5 minutes. They are a crowd pleaser, too
Holiday colored M&M’s are not required, but there is something nice to the uniformity of the colors. You can also substitute the M&Ms for chocolate chips. I also put a sprinkling of sea salt on top for the good mixture of sweet and salty.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 16 Oreo Cookies, lightly chopped (see note) (I used original Oreos)
- ½ cup M&M's (I used mini ones)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt (for sprinkling) Optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In an 8 by 8 inch baking pan cover with foil with enough overhang to release the bars when they are done.
- Melt the butter in the microwave or on the stove top. Let the butter slightly cool. about 1-2 minutes.
- In a medium sized bowl add the brown sugar and slightly cooled butter and whisk until well incorporated.
- Add the vanilla extract and egg and whisk until well combined.
- Stir in the flour, salt, and baking soda. Make sure to not over mix.
- With a rubber spatula add in the chopped up oreos and m&m's. Spread into a prepared pan, sprinkl with sea salt. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool completely before cutting into the bars.
- The bars will stay fresh in an air tight container for 5 days. If they last that long 🙂
Did you make a recipe from our blog? Don’t forget to snap a photo of it and tag #twosisterskitchens on social media! We would love to see what you’re making!
Recipe adapted from Averie Cooks.