A chocolate banana bread made just a bit healthier. Coconut oil, greek yogurt, chocolate, and bananas is what makes this bread amazing!
Jason is out of town with some friends; they took a road trip to Nashville. I swear I have a life outside of work and hanging out with my husband, but this week I just don’t really have any plans the next few days like I usually do, which leads me to baking in my downtime even more than I usually do. I probably should have made something that Boomer (my dog) could eat with me, but instead I made something with chocolate. I decided to bring the left over bread to my dad’s office, that way he could share this delicious bread with his employees. I needed to get it out of my house because I couldn’t stop eating it. It is a healthier bread, but I am still not ok with eating half or a whole loaf by myself. My dad was the same way, so he set it out to share with his guys.
Now onto the bread, it is best to use the ripest banana’s that you have on hand and to measure out 1 cup of the mixture. I needed 2 1/4 of bananas to equal one cup. The greek yogurt that I use is a plain one, but a vanilla one would work just as well in this recipe. I like to use dark chocolate chips, but you could use semi sweet, or milk chocolate for a sweeter bread. I also like to sprinkle 1/4 to 1/2 cup of extra chocolate chips on top of the bread before baking it.
Make this bread next time you have very ripe banana’s on hand. It is a great alternative to plain banana bread, which is just as yummy.
- 1½ cups flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅔ cup chocolate chips (use your favorite)
- 2 eggs
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ cup coconut oil (melted, and slightly cooled)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup mashed bananas (2-3)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spay a loaf pan with non stick spay.
- Melt the coconut oil and allow to cool as you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, coco powder, baking soda,chocolate chips and salt. set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the the eggs, vanilla extract and greek yogurt. Whisk until well combined. Whisk in the coconut oil and sugar. Whisk until well combined, then add in the 1 cup mashed bananas. Next, stir in the dry ingredients (make sure to switch to a wooden spoon and do not use a whisk) Mix until just combined you do not want to overmix the batter.
- Pour into your prepared loaf pan, sprinkle with more chocolate chips if desired, and bake for 55 minutes to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean when inserted into the center of the bread.
- Let the bread cool on a cooling rack for at least 45 to 60 minutes. When you are ready to cut into the bread gently slip over the pan onto a flat surface or cutting board. Cut the bread, and store in an air tight container for 3-5 days.
If you make this or any of our recipes, we would love to see them! Snap a photo and hashtag it#TwoSistersKitchens or tag us @twosisterskitchens on Instagram!