A slightly spicy shrimp stew that is cooked in a creamy coconut broth. It is a great weeknight meal since it comes together so fast!
I really do not think food can get much better than this dish. Like I mentioned it is super fast to put together and is incredibly delicious. That is the great thing about shrimp dishes they usually come together very fast as shrimp only take a few minutes to cook. It has this great combination of creamy coconut milk, tomatoes,red peppers,garlic and a touch of lime and cilantro. All of this seriously makes for the most amazing dish. Serve it over rice and you have this soul warming dish that isn’t too heavy.
My only suggestion is if you do not like things too spicy then I would do less than 1 tsp of red pepper flakes. Also, you can use full fat or lite coconut milk in this dish. I have used both and find that it comes out just as amazing either way.
- 1½ Tbs. coconut oil or olive oil
- 2 large red bell pepper, sliced into very thin 1-inch-long strips
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (less for less spicy)
- 14.5-oz. can petite-diced tomatoes, drained
- 14-oz. can coconut milk ( lite or regular both work fine)
- ¾ tsp salt (or more to taste)
- 1 lb.shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons lime juice(about 1½ limes)
- Hot, cooked basmati,brown, jasmine or long-grain rice for serving
- In a large skillet, heat coconut oil on medium-low heat. Add in the sliced red peppers and saute for 4 minutes (or until soft) Add in the white parts of the scallions, ⅓ cup cilantro, red pepper flakes and garlic. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add canned tomatoes, coconut milk and salt. Bring to a light boil, cover simmer on low for 7-10 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook for 5 minutes. Add lime juice. Serve, over rice and sprinkle with greens onions and the extra cilantro.
Adapted from Fine Cooking.
For more shrimp recipes, try these: