This recipe for easy chicken lo mein comes from my fabulous sister in law. She shared this with me after having my oldest son over for a sleepover. He was in love with it and came home asking me to please make it! It is one of his favorite meals. So I am sharing it with you!
I think this is such an easy meal to make. Sometimes when I want an even quicker weeknight meal, I make it a vegetarian lo mein. My kids don’t seem to mind, and it cuts out a whole step. I truly believe that even on the busiest day you can make a great home cooked meal. I know, like myself, you may not always feel up to it after a long day. But if you have a few go to meals, it can be a breeze. That’s what this meal is for me: my go to meal. I truly hope you, and everyone you share it with, finds it to be their go to meal. Enjoy!
This chicken lo mien recipe calls for oyster sauce. I know it doesn’t sound appealing, but it makes the recipe perfect, so don’t skip this ingredient!
Makes great leftovers for the next day as well!
- 1 package of spaghetti noodle or lo mien noodles
- 2 Chicken Breasts sliced in strips or cubes
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1½ cups shredded or diced carrots (half a bag of shredded carrots)
- 1 bundle of green onions chopped(i slice the bright green part large and slice the base up small)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 stalks of celery sliced
- ¼ cup of soy sauce
- ¼ cup oyster sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Start boiling water for pasta
- Slice chicken breast and generously salt and pepper
- In large skillet or wok heat 1 Tbsp of sesame oil on med-high heat
- When heated add chicken and cook about 4 minutes (doesn't need to be thoroughly cooked it will simmer in sauce later) remove from pan and set aside
- Add last Tbsp of sesame oil to same pan
- Add carrots, celery and sauté for for 3-4 minutes
- Add green onions and garlic stir about 1 minute
- In separate bowl stir together soy sauce, oyster sauce and brown sugar and add to pan along with chicken
- Simmer on low for 5 minutes
- Finish and drain pasta
- Add to chicken and veggie mixture
- Mix well, serve and enjoy!