This Creamy Chicken and Gnocchi Soup is so yummy! It is one of those soups that warms you soul and its all done in a slower cooker! I usually make a soup once a week during the cold months. They are such comforting meals to be served with a nice warm piece of bread, oyster crackers, tortilla chips… ok any carb works for me. I also love soups because they save well for the rest of the week for lunches or a night that you do not feel like cooking dinner.
This Chicken Gnocchi Soup can be made so many different ways, and it would still be just as amazing. When making this soup, feel free to try a different noodle base if you do not like gnocchis. You can make it with tortellinis, egg noodles, or any noodle that you like. I might just be obsessed with eating gnocchis, so I always choose making it with that.
I make this soup in a slow cooker, but you can make it on the stove. If you are making it on the stove, sauté the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes, then add the celery, carrots, chicken broth, and chicken. The directions below show using in a slow cooker.
I like to make my bacon the day before in the oven at 375 for 14-18 minutes. The bake time for the bacon will vary depending on how crispy you want it. Pat the bacon dry with a paper towel, then store it in the fridge in a ziplock bag or air tight container.
- 2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 6 cloves minced garlic
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 tsp Dried Basil
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
- ½ tsp Salt
- 6 cups Chicken Broth
- 4 Tbsp Cornstarch Dissolved In 4 Tablespoons of evaporated milk
- 2 12 ounces Cans Evaporated Milk
- 2 1 Lb. Packages Potato Gnocchi
- 5-7 slices Bacon, extra crispy
- 1 6oz bag fresh Baby Spinach (roughly chopped)
- Spray the crockpot with nonstick olive oil spray. Add the onion, celery, garlic, carrots, chicken and chicken broth to the slow cooker. Cover and let cook. Turn on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-5.
- Once the base has cooked shred the chicken. You can do this directly in the crockpot, or remove place on a cutting board and shred with two forks. Add it back to the slow cooker. Then add the cornstarch mixture, evaporated milk, and gnocchi's stir and cover for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the cooked bacon, and chopped spinach. Stir and cover for just a few minutes or until the spinach is wilted.
- Turn off the slow cooker add salt and pepper as needed.
I noticed when I would reheat this soup it would be a little too thick. Just add a tablespoon or two to bowl that you are heating up to help with that
If you are going to use tortellinis or other noodles make sure to prepare according to the package directions first.
For more soup recipes, try these;