Quick and easy! Make this as an appetizer or an entree.
I absolutely love mushrooms! And… mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil too 🙂 Whipping these up is a breeze and is sure to hit the spot.
Lately I’ve been trying to find low carb recipe options. This is something I started making, and this meal definitely hits the spot. I couldn’t stop eating them! What I love is that these can be made as an appetizer or for an entire meal. In this specific recipe, it calls for three portobello mushrooms, which can be an appetizer for two or a meal for one. So depending on your goal for the recipe, either double or triple it if needed.
Now for the tomatoes: feel free to use a big slice of tomato instead of the cherry tomatoes. Either one would be fine. I like using the cherry tomatoes, but thats just my preference. If all you have on hand is a large tomato, don’t let that stop you!
I promise you these will hit the spot. Not only are they delicious, but they are also a healthier option! Serve these up and enjoy!
- 3 Portobello mushroom caps, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, sliced small
- salt and pepper to taste
- preheat oven to 350
- prepare a baking sheet with aluminum foil
- place mushroom caps on prepared pan
- evenly fill each cap with mozzarella cheese
- add tomatoes and place in preheated oven
- bake for 15 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbling
- remove from oven
- sprinkle with fresh basil
- add salt and pepper to taste
- serve and enjoy!