I seem to always have an issue with bananas that are getting too ripe on my kitchen counter. We try and eat them throughout the week, but sometimes they just get brown faster than we can eat them. At that point, I no longer like the taste or texture of them, which means they are then perfect for making banana bread muffins.
They are fast to throw together and once they start baking in your oven, you are going to want to start brewing some coffee to add to all of the amazing aromas that will come from these muffins baking.
The center of these muffins are fluffy and airy, and the cinnamon sugar sprinkle on top pulls it all together. I hope you have some browning bananas around your home to make these perfect banana muffins.
- Banana Muffins:
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 browned bananas, mashed
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, melted
- Cinnamon Sugar topping:
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a 12 muffin tin with non-stick spray, or use paper liners.
- In a medium bowl,sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Whisk together the mashed bananas, granulated sugar,and melted butter in a large bowl. Whisk until well combined. Add, vanilla extract and egg. Whisk until combined. Switch to a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Then fold in flour mixture, and mix until smooth. Make sure to not over mix.Scoop into muffin pans.Fill until ¾ full.
- In a small bowl mix together the cinnamon,flour, and brown sugar. Sprinkle over the tops of the muffins.
- Bake in preheated oven for 22 to 25 minutes. Muffins are done when they will spring back when lightly tapped.