Crispy oven baked onion rings. They are easy and the perfect appetizer for a football party.
I love making not so healthy foods just a bit healthier. These baked onion rings are just that. The only issue is that I could have eaten the whole batch.
Now I wouldn’t say that they taste just like a deep fried onion ring, they are pretty darn close to the real thing. They seriously taste so good! I dipped our onion rings in bbq sauce, but ketchup, a spicy mayo, ranch, the possibilities for dips are endless.
- 2 large yellow onion
- ½ cup flour
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 2½ cups panko breadcrumbs + 2 tablespoons buttermilk (regular milk works fine)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 eggs
- nonstick spray
- dipping sauce of choice
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray generously with nonstick spray.
- Slice the onions into ¼-to-1/2-inch thickness. Separate the rings and place in a bowl of water.
- Let the onions soak for just a few minutes, then drain.
- Stir panko crumbs, and 1 teaspoon chili powder in a medium bowl.
- In a second bowl, stir flour, salt,garlic powder, and chili powder.
- In a third bowl whisk together eggs and milk.
- Take one onion ring and toss it in the flour mixture, being sure to coat the onion well. Dip it in the egg mixture, be sure to get all sides. Lastly, Toss the ring in the panko crumbs to coat. Place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat process with remaining rings.
- Spray the rings with nonstick spray. Bake rings for 13-15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and serve with your favorite dipping sauces.