I made this yummy spread for our Christmas Eve gathering, and it was hit. I have been asked to make some version of this for the past few years. I change what I put on it each time because you really can’t go wrong with these meats and cheeses. There’s no set way to do it. So my recipe is just what I’ve done, and they are just suggestions.
I don’t just make this type of appetizer once a year! I make this quit often because of how simple it is and how much people love this type of thing.
Sometimes I’ve done a lot larger of a spread and other times about the size in this photo. Experiment and come up with your own combination; there is definitely no wrong way. You can add grapes, almonds, bread with olive oil for dipping. Add different types of meat too like smoked salmon. There are endless amounts of yummy cheeses out there to try.
- ¾ pounds prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 1 pound capicola, sliced fairly thin and rolled up
- 1 peppered salami, sliced
- 1 block of sharp cheddar cheese, sliced into squares
- 1 block of swiss cheese, sliced into squares
- 6 oz cranberry goat cheese
- 1 wedge of fontina (mine had rosemary on it)
- marinated mushrooms
- variety of olives
- handful of dried cherries
- crackers for serving
- Slice cheeses and place on a large platter or I used a large cutting board
- Place prosciutto in a mound ( doesn't have to look perfect )
- Roll each individual piece of capicola and place in a mound
- Place your olives or anything similar that has moisture in small bowls
- Place other cheeses, peppered salami and dried cherries randomly
- There is really no wrong way to do this honestly